Brief Township History
The Township of Munro was organized by the Board of Supervisors at a meeting held in October, 1878. The total amount of Munro Township tax roll that year was $891.11
The first Township Officers for Munro were:
- George Heilman - Supervisor
- Martin Horn - Clerk
- Joseph Blank - Treasurer
The population of Munro in 1880 was 140. Per the 2000 census that number has grown to 679. An increase of 32.6% from 512 in 1990.
The current township hall was constructed in 1925. The first fire hall in Munro was built in 2001.
More about our area and history is coming soon! If you have anything to add, please contact the township clerk.
The Munro Township Cemetery is located on the corner of Bonnet and Brandau Road, adjacent the township hall. You must be a resident to purchase a grave site, and it may not be sold to a third party. However, the township may buy back unused plots at their original purchase price. Purchasers of lots simply acquire the right and privilege to burial, and the right to erect markers and monuments, subject to the cemetery ordinance.
The Cemetery Sexton is responsible for all opening and closings of burials, and the maintenance of the cemetery records.
Most questions regarding regulations on markers, memorials, plantings, and decorations, can be answered by reviewing the ordinance below:
For more information, or to purchase a cemetary lot please contact the Township Clerk.
Munro Township receives fire protection primarily from the Inverness Fire Department through its affiliation with the Joint Administrative Fire Board. The south-west corner of the township is covered by the Pellston Fire Department.
Currently 5 Munro residents are volunteer fire fighters and are members of the Inverness Fire Department. They consist of: Allen Antkoviak, Andy Beethem, Neil Hill, Clay Ginop, and Keith Ginop.
The Joint Administrative Fire Board meets the second Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. at the Inverness Fire Hall. Munro Township is represented on the board by Linda Ginop and Donald Tracey.
Fire HallsInverness Fire Hall
1195 Woiderski Road
Cheoygan, MI 49721
231.627.3301 Pellston Fire Department
150 Milton Street
Pellston, MI 49769
231.539.8411 Munro Fire Hall
8872 Levering Road
Levering, MI 49755
Dial 9-1-1 for emergencies.
Burn Permits can be obtained by calling the DNR at 866.922.2876
Munro Township Hall is located at the corner of Bonnet and Brandau Road and is available for seasonal rental, by the residents of the township. Typical uses include meetings, receptions, open houses, etc. It features a large assembly room, dinning room and kitchen facilities.
Please contact the Township Clerk for further rental information or inquires.Munro Township Hall
8016 Brandau Road
Levering, MI 49755
2010 Census Data
- 1980 Population: 459
- 1990 Population: 512
- 2000 Population: 679
- 2010 Population: 571
The following is information provided by Census 2010: